BizTalk360 Cloud allows you to seamlessly monitor various things in your BizTalk environment like Receive Locations, Orchestrations, Send ports, and Host Instances. In this section, we will see how to set up monitoring on the Orchestrations in a BizTalk application.
Orchestrations in BizTalk Server is used as a workflow to compose business processes. In the majority of instances, Orchestrations will become the key part of the solution you have deployed, and it's important to make sure the orchestrations are in healthy expected state to avoid any downtime. BizTalk360 Cloud assists users by monitoring the Orchestrations against a predefined status. For instance, you want to monitor the health of the Orchestration and want to be alerted when the status is not in a started state. You can easily configure this in BizTalk360 Cloud by setting the expected state of the Orchestration to be started. By doing this, the system will trigger an alert as soon as the Orchestration status is not in started state.
One of the important features of BizTalk360 Cloud monitoring is, it allows you to set up monitoring for any desired state, not necessarily just healthy running state always. Most of the monitoring solutions will only monitor for a healthy state. When it comes to BizTalk, it's fairly normal; for example, you have some Orchestrations in stopped state for some reason and you do not want someone to accidentally start it. If you wanted to achieve this in general purpose monitoring solutions, it may involve a considerable amount of custom development, whereas in BizTalk360 Cloud it's out-of-the-box.
When you are configuring monitoring for Orchestration, you can select one of the expected state from the drop down. The meaning of the states is:
- Started– The Orchestration is expected to be in started state
- Stopped– The Orchestration is expected to be in stopped state
- Unenlisted– The Orchestration is expected to be in unenlisted state
- Do not monitor– Selecting this option will disable monitoring for the selected Orchestration
Setting Up Alerts For Orchestrations
- Log into your BizTalk360 Cloud account
- Click 'Manage Environment' in the environment pane
- Click 'Monitor BizTalk Applications' from the navigation pane
- Select the Application for which you want to set up the monitoring
- Select the Alarm name (see creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- Choose the Orchestration(s) that you wish to monitor and receive the alerts
- Select the check box against the orchestration, and
- Set the value of Expected State by selecting the value from drop down. For instance, if you want to be alerted when the Orchestration is not in started state, then you need to set the expected value in the drop down to Started
The alert for the Orchestration is set and the status of the artifact will be reflected on the Application page