A receive port can have multiple receive locations mapped to it. BizTalk360 Cloud can monitor all of your receive locations related to the particular BizTalk application and alert you when something goes wrong.
In this section, we will see how to set up monitoring on the BizTalk Receive Locations. Receive Locations in BizTalk Server are used for receive messages from the external system. It could be either via polling periodically or by listening for messages (example HTTP, where someone posts a message to the endpoint). It's important to make sure the Receive Location is healthy and running in an expected state to avoid any downtime receiving messages from external systems. BizTalk360 Cloud assists users by monitoring the Receive Locations against a predefined status. For instance, you want to monitor the Receive Locations of the application and want to be alerted when the status becomes disabled. You can easily configure this by setting the expected state of the Receive Location to be 'Enabled'. By doing this, the system will trigger an alert as soon as the Receive Location status become Disabled.
One of the important features of BizTalk360 Cloud monitoring is, it allows you to set up monitoring for any desired state for your Receive Locations, not necessarily just healthy running (Enabled) state always. Most of the monitoring solutions will only monitor for a healthy state. When it comes to BizTalk, it's fairly normal; for example, you have some Receive Locations (example: FTP port) in stopped state for some reason and you do not want someone to accidentally start it. If you wanted to achieve this in general purpose monitoring solutions, it may involve a considerable amount of custom development, whereas in BizTalk360 Cloud it's out-of-the-box.
When you are configuring monitoring for receive locations, once you select the receive location, you can then select one of the expected state from the drop down. The meaning of the states is:
- Enabled– The receive location is expected to be in enabled state
- Disabled– The receive location is expected to be in disabled state
- Do not monitor– Selecting this option will disable monitoring for the selected receive location
You can execute the following steps to set up an alert for the receive locations:
Setting Up Alerts For Receive Locations
- Log into your BizTalk360 Cloud account
- Click 'Manage Environment' in the environment pane
- Click 'Monitor BizTalk Applications' from the navigation pane
- Select the Application for which you want to set up the monitoring
- Select the Alarm name (see creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- Choose the Receive locations that you wish to monitor
- Select the check box against the receive location
- Set the value of Expected State by selecting the value from drop down. For instance, if you wanted to make sure the receive location is in the enabled state, set up the value from the drop down list to "Enabled". Once set, if the receive location is not in enabled state, BizTalk360 will send notification
The alert for the receive location is set and the status of the artifact will be reflected on the Application page